Friday, September 2, 2011

Oh crap! Projects That Don't Turn Out

I was very excited by the Humblebeads "Inspired by the Sea" Challenge.  I had a great idea - a sea anomone necklace.  I even knew how I was going to go about it.  I researched anomones.  I made up custom color mixtures, I did skinner blends, even a cane to get the color gradiation that would be the center of my anomone.  And I spent a lot of time trying to make it just what I envisioned.  Unforunately, when it was all finished, I wasn't happy with it at all.  For starters it was way too large - about 3.5 inches across... and it just wasn't what I had in my mind.  Now it sits on my desk, taking up space.  I should probably just throw it... but I just can't bring myself to do that just yet, after spending so many hours on it.  I may come back to the idea and try some other ways of going about it...  but not right now.  I can't help but wonder what other people do with their projects that don't turn out - toss them away, or tuck them away in a box...

4 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with last week's Inspired by the Sea theme - urchins! For the first time, I actually sketched my design out in advance. But when I was finished with the bead embroidered piece, it looked more like something someone would stick pins in than the fire urchin I was shooting for. It's stored upside down, in a box, in a bottom drawer. At some point I will take it out and have a good laugh, but not this week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several boxes of projects that I'm not happy with. Some are ok to use as unusual gift tags to tie onto a birthday present, but others are just pretty blah. I'm trying to live by the creed "if I'm not 110% happy with something I've made I'm not going to bake it" at least it's salvageable then.
    If you think the pendant is too big why not turn it into a brooch. I think it would look gorgeous pinned to a black jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who this happens to! I like the gift tag idea a lot!
    Thanks for the idea on turning the piece into a brooch - I never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes what your not happy with someone else finds it a gem. I have a lot of what I call garden art. I put the ugly ones in the back yard. My daughter always finds some that I see her wearing on a ribbon around her neck. I liked your urchin.

    ReplyDelete